Ad banner here Dream Fire: A story I stumbled upon :)

Hi, and welcome to Dream Fire. This is a place to wind down and relax, so put your feet up and let your thoughts wander

Books & Reading Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Saturday 18 February 2012

A story I stumbled upon :)


Unknown Script

Chapter 2

“How did you find me?” I looked at her as I didn’t remember how I ended up in this house. “I simply woke up in a bedroom one day, dazed and confused.”
            “I was out in a nearby village called Usheira.”She starts to explain, her eyes dropped again. “Because we are so far away from the Citadel City many criminals find it easy to operate around these parts. I know you don’t know anything about this but there is a warlord, who harasses that innocent village. His group would drive in and force people to give them their possessions.”
            I looked behind me and saw lights, distant lights below our hill some twenty miles away. That must be the village I thought.
            “There was a confrontation between one of the villagers and the thugs. The villager didn’t bend as the thugs wanted him to. They sacked his house and the whole village came down on the gangsters. It was, messy. I was there. The bastards fled after they had killed that villager and burned his house to the ground. That’s when I found you. You were soaked in blood, probably caught up in the fire fight. I don’t know why but I felt inclined to take you home and looked after your wounds.”
            “But I have no scars.” I said in a puzzled voice.
She looked shocked too, she hesitated.
            “That’s what surprised me the most. When I rushed you in, I thought you were gonna die. But As I wiped the blood away from your body your wounds had already started healing. By next morning you were completely healed.”
I thought about this for a moment, and then I remembered that when I was running with Eva not long ago I recovered unexpectedly quickly. Eva looked at me again, as a child would examine a new toy. The wind blew again and her hair glided across her shoulders. I shivered uncontrollably, damn it’s getting cold.
            “Just what are you?” She said her facial expression fascinating and saturated with curiosity. She turned away quickly, coughed.
            “Well, it’s getting cold lets head back.”
We stood up and brushed the grass off ourselves and started heading back towards the house. The nightscape surrounds us and casted an illusion of beauty and peace, with atrocities been committed just around the corner. I felt like I must do something. I looked down at the cluster of lights in the distance again. Something new inside me emerged. I walked along the fields with Eva my mind growing with each step.
I will not live blindly again, even though I don’t know what good one man can do. I’ve made up my mind. I will give it my all, to fight my demons.
I kicked something, hidden in the tall grass, pain shot up my foot as I tripped and yelled in agony. I rolled down the rest of the way, like a runaway snowball. Eva chased after me all the way down the hill. As I tumbled I thought hard. What in god’s name was that? God it hurts so much; was it a log? A rock? I know what it was; it’s one of those bloody derelict things!
Eva eventually caught up with me, panting hard. She helped me up, an awkward look on her face.
            “Kira! I thought you had another episode! What did you do?” She managed between gasps of breath, laughter.
I looked at another one of the rusted strange objects lying on the ground completely perplexed, I pointed at the object.
            “What are those?” I asked, “The field’s covered in them.”
            “Not just the fields.”She calmed herself and followed my finger. “They are everywhere, in different shapes and sizes.” Eva answered like a teacher to a bewildered student. I simply looked at her with my questioning eyes. “Our world is a strange one, filled with mystery and myth. These are what we call lost technology.”
            “Lost technology?”
            “Many thousand years ago we were incredibly advanced, not like now. Something happened however, something terrible in a scale beyond our imagination and the human race almost went extinct.”
            I was even more confused than ever before. I looked at the object again it was small and round, badly rusted and many sockets and dirty cables decorated its outer shell.
            “Due to the mass extinction most of our technology, knowledge and history were lost. The Megacities are the cities which survived the terrible cataclysm and still retain some of our surviving technology. No one knows what happened to us and there is nobody alive to understand the wealth of knowledge left behind, therefore we dubbed these, the Lost Technology.” She said as we walked over to the main door.
We walked into the dark rooms of the house once again but the fire inside me kept burning, even though it is small and fragile. I will never let it burn out again. We sat down in the living room behind one of the closed doors, which I never explored. Until now. The living room was pretty much bare. A fire place made the place look even older; a couch lined itself infront of the fire place. Eva went over and lit the fireplace and we sat down on the couch. The fire casted flickering shadows across everything as if they kept us company. She spoke again, the fire dancing in her eyes.
            “The silver eyed angel is no myth.” Eva was fixated on the fire. “I have seen countless records of her in ancient texts and archaeological findings also support her existence.” I looked at her puzzled.
            “Who are you?” I was determined to find that answer; this question will be my starting line for my journey to find myself once again. She looked at me apathetically, then I realised just how similar we really are.
            “When I lost them.” She picked up a small photo of her family from a nearby table, which I thought was convenient. She must have sat her alone, countless times, by the fire just looking at that photo. “I joined a special programme. It was a long time ago. Our government was losing the war and they were desperate for solutions. They knew me through my husband.”
 Once again her attempt to answer my question spawned more questions. Just what did your husband do Eva?
“They put together a secret team and sneaked us around the country. Our mission: to look for Lost Technologies which could change our fate in the war.”
 The war? Wait just how did it start? Questions keep bombarding my mind. I was so confused and so lost, I had locked myself away for too long. I didn’t realise there was a war. Then again I don’t have my memories.
“We were sent to investigate a newly discovered underground Temple near the uninhabited province of Xanthus.” She looked at me with a strangely dull look. My face was confused and stupefied. “It’s a large area of Jungle four hundred miles south east of our location.” She explained. I simply nodded as I tried to hide my futile attempt to understand her.
“After two months of travelling we unearthed the entrance to the temple and that’s where I found an ancient data slate which, after a long and arduous processes of translating, brought the silver eyed angel to light for the first time.” She suddenly stopped, her eyes glazed over. She was thinking deeply about something and I have no idea of what it could be. I reached out with my finger for the second time and attempted to poke her arm. Just before I could poke her she spoke again. “And that was that.” I pulled my finger back in surprise.
            “You have to stop doing that!” I told her. It really scares me every time that happens. I thought for a moment and a question surfaced from the mountain of things I am wondering about.
            “What happened to your team?”
            “Sorry I didn’t mean to startle you I just get lost in my thoughts sometimes; guess I have problems keeping my focus.” She smiled and didn’t hear me. She playfully tapped her own head and made a childish face. I could sense it. She’s hiding something and I am going to get to the bottom of it. I open my mouth to ask her again.
Her face changed. She was different. The gentle Eva had vanished. Her eyes told me so; cold, dark and piercing. I could almost taste the venom in her presence. I wondered what was happening. Then I heard it. A vehicle, probably a large truck had pulled up to the house. The engine stops and I could hear laughter and men talking loudly just outside. I walked over to a small window in the far wall but bushes blocked my view. I looked at Eva again questions obvious, on my face. She just stood there staring blankly at the fire; her whole body was tense.
            “Eva.” She didn’t respond. “EVA!”
            She turned her head sharply at me, her face focused and prepared. What is she preparing for? She stood up fluidly and her eyes shot right through me.
            “Run.” She fired the word at my face; not shouting but the sheer weight of her tone almost knocked my mind away. I sensed a change in the atmosphere, the dark corners of the living room appeared heavier and the pain in my chest began to resurface. That’s when I was sure, a storm is approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment